There are many different forms of financial assistance available to qualified students who attend St. Bernard’s in Rochester and Syracuse. To be considered for these opportunities St. Bernard’s students must be taking graduate courses for credit in one of St. Bernard’s graduate or graduate certificate degree programs. Preference for financial assistance goes to students who are matriculated within the graduate school. However, all students taking credit courses may apply for St. Bernard’s financial assistance.
The following are financial assistance opportunities for students pursuing graduate education:
1. St. Bernard’s Tuition Assistance: Aid in the form of tuition assistance is awarded by St. Bernard’s to eligible students. Aid can be up to 25% of the tuition cost for one or more courses taken during the academic year.
2. Scholarships: In support of our strong commitment to excellence in preparing men and woman for leadership within the Church, endowed scholarships have been established by support of wonderful individuals to assist St. Bernard students through the following Benefactor Scholarships. The following Benefactor Scholarships are available to matriculated students. These scholarships cover up to 50% of the tuition cost for one or more classes taken during an academic year.
G. Marion Kinget Memorial Scholarship
Joan Pearson Scholarship
James and Carolyn Russell Endowed Scholarship
Grace Carnes Scholarship
Bishop Matthew Clark Scholarship
3. Diocese of Rochester Financial Assistance (DOR): Roman Catholic students who reside in the Rochester diocese are eligible for tuition assistance from the Roman Catholic Diocese. This aid covers up to 25% of the tuition cost for one or more courses taken during an academic year. Application for DOR financial assistance is processed through the Tuition Assistance and Scholarship Application.
4. Diocese of Syracuse Financial Assistance (DOS): Roman Catholic students who reside in the Syracuse diocese are eligible for tuition assistance from the Roman Catholic Diocese. This aid covers 25% of the tuition cost for each course taken, whether for credit or as an audit. Application for DOS financial assistance is processed through the Tuition Assistance and Scholarship Application plus a Diocesan Tuition Assistance Sponsor Form.
5. Parish Sponsorship: Some pastors/pastoral administrators will contribute to the education of their staff and/or volunteers. Use the Sponsorship Tuition Assistance Application to inquire after their financial support.
Other Financial Aid Options
Veteran’s Benefits: Educational benefits in the form of grants are available for full-or-part-time study for veteran’s studying here at St. Bernard’s. Benefits may also be available to spouses and or children of disabled/deceased veterans as well as those in the National Guard/Reserve. More information on Veteran’s Educational Benefits please click here. (Take them to the Vet website) www.gibill.va.gov
Student Loan Program: Students who are enrolled in part-time study or more may apply for long-term, low-interest loans through the Federal Stafford and Federal Graduate Plus Loans. To learn more about the Federal Stafford and Graduate Plus Loan Programs and to apply to these programs please visit www.gradloans.com.
NY State Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA) Tuition Benefits Program: St. Bernard's also participates in the CSEA benefits program whereby eligible state employees receive $220.00 per credit of graduate work up to a maximum of 4 credits per semester. Educational Advisement Services are available to CSEA-represented NYS employees by calling (518) 486-7814 or (800) 253-4332.
Questions relating to Financial Aid at the Rochester location may be referred to Christina Schmidt, Director of Admissions and Financial Aid firstname.lastname@example.org or call (585)271-3657 ext. 289.