Financial Aid Rochester - FAQ

Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students in the Diocese of Rochester:

Does St. Bernard’s offer financial assistance? 

Yes, financial assistance is available for graduate students attending St. Bernard’s Rochester. Financial assistance may include grants, scholarships, Veterans Benefits, and government loans. For more information on these opportunities, please click here.

When can I apply for financial aid?

Current students: Students already receiving aid must renew their aid application during the yearly application process. Current students may apply for aid during early spring semester and are notified of awards late spring semester for the upcoming school year. Financial aid applications (click here to download Tuition Assistance Application form) are due by April 1st. Applications for Financial Aid renewal may be picked up in the Financial Aid Office as well as obtained on-line. 

New Students: New students may apply for aid for the semester in which they enroll. Application deadlines for Fall enrollment should be submitted by August 1st, Spring enrollment December 1st, Summer enrollment April 1st (click here to download Tuition Assistance Application form).

Does the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid) need to be completed in order to be considered for financial assistance?

Yes. In order to be considered for St. Bernard’s Scholarships, Tuition Assistance or Federal Student Loan Programs, students must complete the FAFSA application and have results sent electronically to St. Bernard’s. It is recommended that you complete the FAFSA on-line at and keep a copy for your records before submitting to St. Bernards.

What is the Federal School Code for St. Bernard’s?

The Federal School Code for St. Bernard’s School of Theology and Ministry is 002815. Students need to provide this code when completing the FAFSA form to insure that the information provided will be sent to St. Bernard’s.

What does the EFC number on my Student Aid Report (SAR) mean?

The data reported on your FAFSA is used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) value. This value is used to determine your federal aid eligibility. Eligibility is based on the difference between the estimated costs of attendance and what a student can reasonably be expected to contribute (Expected Family Contribution or EFC). 

How will my aid be disbursed to me?

Once all requested documentation has been received and processed by the Financial Aid Office, your awards will be disbursed to St. Bernard’s Finance Office to be applied towards any outstanding balance. Any credit balance will be disbursed to you by the Finance Office.

Do I have to be a full-time student to receive financial aid? 

No. Students requesting financial aid from St. Bernard’s and the Diocese of Rochester must be taking courses for credit and working towards a degree within the graduate school. Students who are matriculated receive preference for financial aid.  

More questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact the Admissions Office, 585-271-3657, ext. 227 or email